Smart Snacks in School nutrition standards are being implemented this summer! As valued members of our parent community, here are a few things you need to know:
- Smart Snacks nutrition standards are now a federal law and must be implemented in all schools across the country.
- Smart Snacks will apply to all foods and beverages sold to students outside of the school meals programs - including vending machines, a la carte, school stores, snack carts and fundraising.Cookies, candy, chips, donuts and soda will be replaced with items like nuts or seeds, popcorn,baked chips, fruit cups and plain water.
- Smart Snacks will be in effect for the entire school day (midnight before to 30 minutes after the end of the school day) across the entire school campus.
- Smart Snacks will not apply to foods served, such as classroom celebrations and during evening,weekend or community events.
- Smart Snacks go into effect this summer!
Some fundraising will be affected! Foods and beverages sold to students as fundraisers during the school day will have to meet Smart Snacks standards (unless they are part of an infrequent number of exemptions to be determined by states. If the state does not set a number of exemptions, no exemptions will be allowed).
Non-food fundraisers or fundraisers that include only foods and beverages that meet the standards are not limited in any way! Visit www.healthiergeneration.org/smartsnacks to find additional resources on alternative fundraising ideas and healthier foods and beverages that can be used for fundraising.
Students who are well nourished are better prepared to learn. By implementing consistent nutrition standards throughout all corners of the school building, we believe this will enhance the learning environment and contribute to the overall health and well-being of our students. In addition, consistently providing healthier foods and beverages outside of the cafeteria will build on the great strides being made in the cafeteria to offer healthier foods and beverages.
As we work to change our foods and beverages across campus, we would appreciate your support,especially in the area of fundraising. We look forward to working together to find alternative fundraising ideas or developing a list of healthier foods and beverages to be sold for fundraising. We know as we all work together to find solutions during this change process that we can all be successful!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Ronald Linke 610-327-2277 x1024
Asst. Business Administrator