Terms to Know
Tiers of Intervention:
In RtII, 3 Tiers represent the levels of intensity or types of intervention a child receives. The 3 Tiers in RtII resemble a pyramid, (often referred to as the “Pyramid of Interventions”).
All students are tested 3 times each year to determine reading proficiency against grade-level benchmarks.
Refers to the process of assessing student performance and deciding if adjustments need to be made to instruction or interventions.
Refer to the additional supports students receive that address individual learning needs. Building
principals, teachers, and reading specialists work together to diagnose potential reading problems and prescribe appropriate interventions.
How can parents support RtII?
• Provide 30 minutes of uninterrupted reading time each night.
• Permit only limited access to television and video games, especially during school nights.
• Engage your child in conversations that discuss current events.
• Attend parent conferences and have regular discussions with your child’s teacher regarding their progress in the classroom.
• Read with your child. Children love the time spent together.